Problem with VS2010 asks to repair or uninstall FxCop 10.0

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM

When I go to analyze a project it passes the Code metric calculation but in step 2 analyzing it gives an error asking to repair or uninstall FxCop 10.0. I am pretty sure that I gave the correct path to the .exe file

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\FXCop.

I do see the FxCopSetup.exe file there .

this is 64 bit machine win7. What is interesting is that In my code Analysis progress window. I see

FxCopCmd.exe Version:?

Metrics.exe Version:10.0

I decided to hit the repair button but that did not fix the problem.

Also I do not know why my metrics path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop

This is where the download put the .exe.  How come it is not under c:\Program Files

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Hi mkamran44,

Thank you for using FxCop Integrator!!

> When I go to analyze a project it passes the Code metric calculation but in step 2 analyzing it gives an error asking to repair or uninstall FxCop 10.0.

FxCop Integrator uses FxCopCmd.exe to analyze your code.
So, you have to specify not the FxCopSetup.exe path but the FxCopCmd.exe path.

If you install FxCop 10.0 to the default location, it will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Fxcop 10.0\FxCopCmd.exe.

> Also I do not know why my metrics path is
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop
> This is where the download put the .exe.  How come it is not under c:\Program Files 

When you install a 32bit application to a 64bit machine, the 32bit app is located under C:\Program Files (x86), and it run under WoW64 when you execute it.
The Metrics.exe (Visual Studio Code Metrics Power Tools 10.0) is a 32bit app, so it is located under C:\Program Files (x86).